First of all, the majority of all local moves are performed without prior in-home (on-site) estimates. Such moves are normally charged hourly. However, many moving companies apply different charges on top of their hourly rates. Make sure to ask the companies what kind of fees they and charges they apply to a final bill besides an hourly rate. Yet understand that it is almost impossible to get a 100% accurate quote because of the nature of the moving process.
Nevertheless, reputable and professional companies will work hard to earn your business by being honest with you. So, once you have made the list of moving companies you would collect quotes from (we recommend to choose 3 companies to compare between each other) for the upcoming local move, please, follow this one major tip to get as much accurate quote as possible – provide the moving companies the detailed information about your upcoming move. The list of the things you will need to provide:
1) The number of rooms and square footage of the home, or the size of the office, or storage. It will be also helpful if you mentioned how many people live in the home or how many employees work in the office.
2) The list of items to be moved. Please note that items such as side tables, mirrors, floor lamps, and camping tents stored in a closet are also considered ‘items.’ If you trust the movers you are hiring and/or have no time to work on the full list got to step #4.
3) Provide an estimated number of boxes. Regular small boxes are 1.5 cu ft.; regular medium boxes are 3.0 cu ft; regular large boxes are 4.5 cu ft.
4) Specify the heaviest and bulkiest items in your residency. Sometimes the bulkiest item is not the heaviest one – a fireproof small gun safe may weight 500 pounds while being the size of a small storage cube, for instance.
5) Let the companies know if you want them to pack your boxes or not. Packing, as a rule, very tedious and time-consuming thus it costs money while vacating your time. One of the most difficult things in moving business is to provide a cost estimate for packing boxes. Be ready for follow-up questions if you want movers to pack your stuff.
6) Let the movers know if they would need to use any stairs and/or elevators at any locations.
7) Notify them about the walking distance between your home and parking zone at the pickup and delivery locations.
8) Check with your building management if they have any specific rules conducting moving at their premises and inform your moving company. For example, in many high-rise buildings in San Francisco, they don’t allow to leave any items outside their elevators which means that moving crews have to take a few items and move them down to a truck. It’d be more efficient to have that elevator filled in with more stuff but the management wouldn’t allow doing so.
9) Will you require movers to take anything to a dumpster? Professional moving companies wouldn’t risk their reputation and license to leave unneeded items just in someone’s neighborhood but rather would go to a dumpster where they are charged by the weight and nature of the dumped items. It costs extra to get rid of any appliances, mattresses, box springs, and flammable items, for example.
10) Provide addresses or at least all zip codes where you will need your movers to stop.
11) Let the moving companies know if you have any restrictions for any kind of trucks in your current place or the place where you are moving to. We are sorry to say, but it’s your legal responsibility to take care of this. Believe us, most reputable companies will try hard to arrange your move even if you live in the jungles. Once we arrived in Tiburon to deliver someone’s goods and our team was asked by the local Police authorities to leave until our client would get a permit from the town… We had to come back the next day. We felt sorry for the client but we had to charge for the extra time.
12) Provide the targeted moving date. Traffic may be different on different days. The bottom line is that moving companies need to get as many details as possible from you in order to arrange your move in the right way and provide you an estimate. No matter which company you will choose, you need to trust those movers.
Here at Got2Move honesty is our core value! We provide a so-called ‘all-inclusive’ hourly rate for the vast majority of local moves. Our simple and straightforward pricing policy has helped us to earn the reputation of one of the most honest and professional movers of the Bay Area – you will not be ‘surprised’ with any hidden fees if you choose us.
For big moving projects we encourage our customers to arrange a free on-site estimate with us at least 3-4 weeks before the move.