Careful preparation of your furniture moving is the key to avoid damages during the transportation and storage of those pieces. Hopefully the following tips will help you ensure the beauty and good condition of your possessions.
Get all the supplies
The supplies for this task include:
- Basic tools for disassembling furniture.
- Bubble wrap.
- Plastic trash bags.
- Sealable bags.
- Cardboard boxes.
- Packing tape.
- Packing paper.
- Cords or rope.
- Clean your furniture throughout and let them dry completely.
- Disassemble the large pieces of furniture first. Remove the drawers and the furniture legs, if possible.
- In order to properly disassemble your furniture, look for the instructions on the manufacturer’s website or have the manuals with you while you are working on the task.
- Take pictures of the steps that you’ve taken while you are disassembling the furniture. That way it would be easier for you to put the pieces back together.
- Use sealable plastic bags to store small pieces like bolts, screws and nuts, and then attach the bag to the furniture (main body).
- Wrap each leg with bubble-wrap or packing paper, and store them in a box or plastic bag. Don't forget to label each box or bag. If you are going to store your furniture for a long time, do not use bubble wrap to protect the legs of the furniture since it can produce mildew.
- Use bubble wrap, and cut several pieces of cardboard from an extra box, to protect furniture corners.
- Tape the bubble wrap and cardboard pieces to corners of the furniture with packing or duct tape.
- Use bubble wrap to protect delicate glass.
- To prevent rips and scratches, cover your furniture with moving pads or heavy covers.
- Use cords to secure the pads or covers (wrap them around the covers).
- Store cushions and pillows in garbage bags or garden refuse bags.
- Use a mattress cover to protect your mattress against mildew, stains, pests, and other possible damage. Then, cover the mattress with furniture pads.
- To preserve your wooden and leather furniture, choose always a climate-controlled storage unit.
- Do not place your leather furniture directly on the floor of the storage unit, instead, place it on wooden pallets.
- Do not stack other objects, boxes or containers on top of your leather furniture.
Finally, if you prefer that a professional moving company assists you during the process of packing your furniture for moving and storage, don't hesitate to contact us. We are always ready to offer you a high quality service.