Careful preparation of your furniture, including your bookcase, is the key to avoid damages throughout the moving process.
The following tips will help you maintain the beauty and good condition of those pieces.
- Remove everything from the shelves.
- Go through all your books and other items that you have in the bookcase, and decide what you want to keep, what you want to donate, and what is no longer in good shape in order to discard it. Remember that there are schools and libraries in need of books.
- Clean your bookshelf. Pass a dry towel or a rag over the surface to get rid of dust. Also, clean your books if they are dusty.
- Use packing tape to reinforce the bottom of the cardboard boxes – that you're going to use to pack your books. You can also pack them in plastic containers.
- To be able to fit more items in one box, pack your books spine-up.
- Pack only a layer of books and then pack lighter items on top. Make sure not to overload the boxes for moving books.
- Close the boxes and label them.
How to pack books for moving
- If possible, remove the shelves of the bookcase.
- Use bubble wrap, packing paper, sheets or blankets to wrap the shelves.
- Pack them separately in cardboard boxes. Note: pack the hardware in sealable plastic bags and place them inside the boxes with the shelves.
- Close the boxes and seal them with tape.
- Label each box.
Moving the Bookcase
- In order to protect your bookcase from getting damaged, wrap the entire piece in furniture blankets or bed covers.
- With the proper technique (lifting from your knees and not your back), you can move a bookshelf that weighs less than 50 pounds.
- If the bookcase is heavier, ask someone to help you move it. Place a slider underneath each leg or corner, and then push the bookcase across the floor.
- When moving a heavy and large bookshelf, the most important issue is to protect the safety of all the people involved in the operation, including you. So if you are not completely sure that you are up to the challenge, turn to professional Los Angeles moving company.
We know what it takes to move a large and heavy bookcase. Contact us and we will do the heavy lifting for you!