Americans are a very mobile nation and we can not be frightened by changing our place of residence. Undoubtedly, moving always causes excitement and certain stress, but the main reason to move is improving living conditions. This gives us strength and optimism and we are moving to a new home with the hope of a better future.
And have you ever been interested in how the cats undergo the movining? Is it easy for your pet to change the conditions? The fact is that homeless cats who choose their own place of residence will never change their habitat area without strong reason. The same feature is typical for pet cats. By nature, pet cats do not like changes and changing of place of residence. Sometimes they can withdraw from the state of equilibrium, even a small rearrangement of furniture in the apartment. What can we say about moving to a new house or a new apartment! This can be a real challenge for a cat. We can distinguish several main occasions that cause cat’s stress when moving:
- the excitement of the owner. Cats are very sensitive to a change in the mood of the owner and if the owner is nervous, fussy and worried, it will not go unnoticed for a cat.
- the process of packing things, in which the usual order is violated in the house.
- actually the move itself - moving, shaking, uncertainty.
- settling in new housing. Frightening unusual layout, unfamiliar smells.
We want to give you some tips how to help the cat painlessly undergo the move:
- Consult with a veterinarian. He will give you the necessary advices how to calm the cat down, correct its behavior, and also, if it is necessary, prescribe sedatives. A mild sedative will help reduce cat’s stress during moving and after moving, if the cat can not settle in a new place in two or three days.
- The most ideal solution would be to give the cat to friends, relatives who love animals, or to give the cat to a special hotel for animals for a few days.
- In case, the cat will be present during moving, it is not necessary to collect things and take out furniture in front of the pet. This is not the best show for a troubled cat. If you can not isolate a cat in a separate room, then the boxes where you will pack your things, it is better to bring them in advance, so that the cat can examine them and make sure of their safety.
- Use the cat basket. Moving will frighten a cat less if it will be in a habitual setting. For many cats, carrying is a familiar attribute from childhood (trips to a veterinarian, exhibitions, etc.). If the cat leaves the house for the first time, transportation should be prepared in advance. Cat basket should be put on the floor open and put a soft rug in it. Cats are curious creatures and will necessarily want to inspect the cat basket inside. Your task is to create a familiar and cozy little world, which will protect the cat when moving. Pay attention: do not carry the cat in your arms. During transportation, panic attacks are possible and the cat can cause injury to others or simply escape. For pets who never leave the apartment there is no other world outside the window. In this case, cat basket should be covered with a blanket during transportation, the less cat sees, the less fear it has. For safety reasons you should not open the carry, stroke the pet or try to feed the frightened animal. The best thing to do is to talk with the pet and be next to him.
- Do not feed the cat before four or six hours before moving (transporting). This will help to avoid on the road such troubles as nausea and diarrhea. Be sure to take the napkins in the way.
- The next stage is adaptation at a new place of residence. It is important to move favorite objects of your cat to a new house: its house, a cat scratcher, bowls and toys. Even if you want to renew all these items, it's better to do this in a few weeks after moving. Familiar objects will create a sense of stability, confidence, and security for the cat.
- Do not impose your emotions to the cat. If she wants to hide or do an apartment survey, do not prevent it do it. Try to shift her attention to something familiar and pleasant. Play with the cat, treat something delicious. Unfortunately, in the first days a cat can behave inadequately and perform actions that are not peculiar to it: to peel wallpaper, furniture, go to the toilet in the wrong place - all this is a way to sign a new territory. Don’t punish a cat for such a misconduct. It can be very noticeable to the attentive owners: the pet does not want to leave the shelter, does not eat well and is afraid of any sounds. After a while everything will be fine, just be patient.
In conclusion, we would like to note that the more cat is attached to the owner, the more often it was outside, the more it is socialized, the easier it will undergo the move. Do not forget, the best cure from stress is to show maximum care, patience and tact to your pet.